Real Estate Professionals Use These Tips to Stay Safe and Sell
Personal Safety Tips for Realtors
- Keep it generic when possible. Try to limit the amount of personal information that you share, whether it is on your business card or in-person when talking to a client. Instead of using a home address or personal cell number, have business cards made with your office address and number.
- Dress the part. Wear comfortable clothing in the office and while out showing houses. It’s ideal that clothing is loose so that you can move and defend yourself if you need to. When you arrive at a showing or open house, lock purses and any valuables you have on you in your vehicle and out of sight. Leave the expensive jewelry, watches and other flashy items at home.
- Refresher on the basics. Remember there is safety in numbers and when possible, do not show a home or hold an open house alone. Create constant communication with your office-make it known where you’ll be, when and with whom. Keep your appointments to daylight hours and try not to turn your back on the client so that there is no chance for a surprise attack.
- Keep your guard up. It is easy to fall into a comfortable routine while showing houses in familiar neighborhoods or even going to and from your office, but assailants can choose any day to attack. It is important to never get too comfortable, stay aware of your surroundings and trust your intuition if something feels off.
- Exude the right body language. Confident body language signals that you are a tough target and can deter an attack before it begins. Hold a posture with your back straight and chin up. Keep a balanced stance and walk with a sense of destination. Make eye contact to show that you are aware of who/what is around you.
- Physical training is ideal. Practicing how to fend off an attacker in the event you find yourself in a dangerous situation will help you feel empowered, strong and confident and the more often you can train, the better. Training will not only give you the physical skills necessary to defend yourself against attacks but also increase the effectiveness of your body language and verbal skills.
For more information check out www.kravmaga.com to see the Facebook page (Krav Maga Worldwide), follow on Instagram @krav_maga_worldwide or call 800.572.8624.